Saturday, January 14, 2012

Veggie Quiche


Many foods I make are a result of a dislike of something I tried at a restaurant or bought from the grocery. Quiche is one example. I'm not saying I haven't had amazing quiche from a restaurant but many times that I've ordered it, it is so so. I come home thinking, "I could make that way better." Then the searching begins. I go to the internet and any cookbooks on hand and begin experimenting according to my taste. This doesn't always go so well but in general, if I stick to it over time, I will come up with something delicious that sometimes becomes a regular at our table!


I've been making quiche now for several years and have always used heavy whipping cream but Chad and I both agree that it started feeling too heavy and rich (is that possible?) so I tried using half and half and it turned out so great!!! So much better in our opinion but you can decide which you like best. 





When Donna, my sister-in-law, Jaime's mother asked me for this recipe ... I sort of drew a blank. I don't actually use a recipe anymore, I just go with it. So, I thought I should add this to my favorite list here since we make it so often. I'm not saying this is the best quiche you will ever eat but it's a darn good one and the best part about making homemade is you know exactly what you're eating. I hope yours turns out great!




**** Recipe dedicated to Jaime, my sister~in~law who always requests 
a quiche or two when we are in town - love you lots! *****


Veggie Quiche
Makes 2 pies


What you'll need:


2 frozen pie shells; 9" deep dish is what I used here.
1 cup crumbled Feta 
4 cups of diced veggies, (example: onion, zucchini, mushrooms, tons of fresh spinach, or potatoes)
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
8 eggs
2 cups half and half (or heavy cream)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch scallions, green parts sliced


Directions:


Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove frozen pie shells from plastic bag and set on a rack away from the oven to thaw while assembling the rest of the ingredients.


Step 2: Chop any vegetables you are using except spinach and saute in a tad of oil in a skillet, until soft (including onions). Remember, potatoes cook longer than anything else so start them first, if using. If you decide to use spinach, grab several large handfulls and lightly saute in a little water, until wilted. Strain spinach in a mesh colander, let cool and squeeze any excess liquid out. Squeeze the daylights out of it! Strain the other vegetables in a mesh colander and let cool.


Step 3: Shred the cheese and set aside.


This is how I assemble a quiche....


1. Add 1/2 cup of feta to the bottom of each pie. Next, add the vegetables and then the other two cheeses. Spred it all out a little but let it mound in the middle so it's not too close to the crusts edge. 


2. Beat the eggs in a medium mixing bowl along with the milk, salt, nutmeg, and a few turns of freshly ground black pepper. Pour half the egg mixture into one pie and the other half into the other pie making sure it doesn't come too close to the edge ... otherwise, it will spill over in the oven while baking.


3. Top with green scallions and place in the oven for 40-60 minutes. Check on it at 40 minutes. Quiche is done when the pies are puffed up and evenly golden and the center of the pie bounces back when carefully pressed with your fingers. If it sinks slightly in the middle to the touch, or is a little gooey, keep it in for another 10-20 minutes. Remove from oven when done and let cool 5-8 minutes. Slice and serve warm.


Refrigerate any leftovers. To reheat, simply use a toaster oven or microwave. 


Freezing option: slice pie like a pizza and either wrap each piece individually or the whole pie with saran wrap. Freeze. If the whole pie is frozen, keep it in the metal pie tin and place in the oven on 350 for 30 minutes.  

2 comments:

  1. WOW those pictures of the Quiche are wonderful.
    That has to be the single best, most scrumptious looking Quiche I have EVER seen, I am sure it is just as delicious. Elisha you really are a GREAT COOK and a true celebrant of the shared food experience. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete